Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Chocolate Cake

When I got up this morning all that was on my mind was what cake I was going to make for my special Birthday.  I am 30 I cant believe it, but I guess I cant be 21 forever. I was wondering to myself where have the years gone? I started to look in the mirror to see if over night I suddenly have more wrinkles or grey hairs! No, but I defiantly feel different, like maybe there is an unwritten rule that you have to wear knee length skirts or use that eye cream my mum has begged me for years to use. I have to pull myself together and get over it. So on with my cooking mission, lets do something real fattening...... chocolate cake it is.

Chocolate Cake
3 eggs
225g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
60g butter
100ml sour cream
210g plain flour
40g almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder 
100g good quality dark chocolate

Chocolate Icing
60g butter, softened
300g icing sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
25g good quality cocoa powder
100g cream cheese

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
Beat together the eggs,  sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy
Melt the butter, add the sour cream and blend into the egg mixture
Mix together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder carefully fold into the mixture
Melt the chocolate and add to the mixture
Pour into a lined round springform pan
Bake in the centre of the oven for about 45min or until cooked
leave to cool
Make the frosting by mixing together butter, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, cocoa powder and cream cheese
Spread the frosting all over the cake and decorate with choclate curls and sugar flowers.

Happy 30th to me!